Download the PLUS Mainstream Guide
Download the PLUS Review magazine to see best practices from PLUS and beyond!
See photos of PLUS in action
Access the Press Area
Other EU projects on lighting
European city networks
• Jyväskylä launches new EU project Light in the City
15/10/2012 - A new two year European project on urban lighting, “Light in the City”, involving four cities, was launched this September.
• City of Venice to get new public lighting system
15/10/2012 - The fourth edition of ForumLED Europe will feature a conference session on the City of Venice's new lighting system.
• Applications open for the Auroralia award 2012
06/09/2012 - Applications are now open for the Auroralia Award in sustainable urban lighting.
• New FP7 photonics call
24/08/2012 - The European Commission will launch a call for projects under its FP7 ICT Cooperation Work Programme 2013 (ICT call 11).
• Results of the public consultation on the future of LED-based lighting in Europe
16/07/2012 - The European Commission has published the results of the public consultation on the future of LED-based lighting in Europe.
• ISO certification for Lyon’s public lighting department
15/05/2012 - The Public Lighting Department of the City of Lyon has just received the ISO 14001 certification for environmental management.
• Researchers explore public response to new street lighting practices
24/05/2012 - Antal Haans, Assistant Professor at Eindhoven University of Technology tells us more about the symposium on “New ways of lighting the streets at night” which will take place at the 22nd IAPS (International Association People and Environment Studies) Conference at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow from the 24th to the 29th of June 2012.
• Sofia introduces LED in street lighting
4/05/2012 - The City of Sofia recently developed and publicly presented its first LED street lighting project.
• Nice to begin new mercury lamp replacement programme
25/04/2012 - The Public Lighting Directorate of Nice Côte d'Azur will be replacing 1300 mercury lamps as part of an initiative funded by the French Environment and Energy Management Agency.
• Feedback from the ESOLi project on intelligent street lighting
20/04/2012 - The European project, ESOLi, which aims to promote intelligent solutions for street lighting, held a conference in Frankfurt. Sabine Pillar, from the Berlin Energy Agency tells us what was discussed.
• Lyon develops new device to measure lighting levels
5/03/2012 - The City of Lyon has just begun using a new custom-designed measuring device to quantify and qualify street lighting levels in order to ensure compliance with the European standard EN 13201.
• Lighting for sustainable mobility in Dresden
5/03/2012 - The new Molen Bridge in Dresden, the first route exclusively for cyclists that connects the city centre to the Ubigau district, has been lit using LEDs.
• Cities in South Baltic region examine LEDs in public space
1/03/2012 - The EU project “LED - Light in Public Space”, which aims to provide facts that help municipalities convert their public lighting to LED
technology, will be holding its LED Academy Seminar on light and urban planning from the 27th to the 29th of March 2012 in Wismar.
• 2012 call for proposals under the “Intelligent Energy - Europe” programme
1/02/2012 - A call for proposals for funding under the Intelligent Energy - Europe (IEE) programme was published on the 20th of December 2011.
• Public consultation on EU Green paper “Lighting the Future”
13/01/2012 - On the 15th of December 2011, as part of the Digital Agenda for Europe, the European Commission adopted a Green Paper and launched a public consultation on the future of solid state lighting.
• LUCI Charter - new signatory cities
13/01/2012 - One of the PLUS project’s reference documents, the LUCI Charter on Urban Lighting, continues to evolve, with two more signatory cities (Ghent and St Etienne) and new steps forward.
• Leipzig and Los Angeles present energy-saving projects at ForumLED
14/12/2011 - The City of Leipzig presented its project, “Intelligent Lighting City Centre” at the ForumLED Europe conference on the 7th of December 2011.
• EU Green Paper on Solid State Lighting (SSL)
22/10/2011 - As part of the Digital Agenda for Europe, the European Commission will soon publish a Green Paper on Solid State Lighting.
• Three projects on Solid-State Lighting (SSL) selected from the CIP call
22/10/2011 - The 5th call for proposals of the Competitiveness and Innovation framework Programme (CIP) concerning innovative lighting systems based on Solid-State Lighting (SSL), came to a close on the 30th of May 2011.
• New lighting for Nice’s historic waterfront walkway
22/10/2011 - Nice Cote d’Azur Urban Community will soon be implementing a project renovating the lighting of its celebrated walkway, the Promenade des Anglais
• Lyon’s lighting experiments continue
15/08/2011 - The City of Lyon has put in place two more experimental lighting projects that reduce energy consumption and adapt lighting operating times to the dynamics of the city.
• Tallinn illuminates its pedestrian crossings with a “green” lighting solution
15/08/2011 - The City of Tallinn is now using a new generation of 70W LED luminaires that provide approximately the same visual and technical specifications required for illuminating pedestrian crossings as those demonstrated by prevalent 150W/250W metal halogen lamps.
• Leipzig to sign LUCI Charter on Urban Lighting
20/05/2011 - The City Council of Leipzig has officially validated the LUCI Charter on Urban Lighting, meaning that the city will soon be among the 32 other signatory cities.
• Bassano del Grappa switches off